Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Tuesday Tutorial: Quote Board

I have had an obsession with Jane Austen since the 5th grade. I was introduced to the 6 hour version of Pride and Prejudice, and since then I adore her books, and most of the movies based on her novels. I decided that I wanted to make a quote wall in my family room. The first quote that will grace my walls, comes from the beloved Captain Wentworth in Persuasion. I debated about whether or not to use the whole quote, eventually deciding to use just half of it. I can just think of Captain Wentworth right now, " You pierce my soul. I am half agony, half hope...I have loved none but you." So sweet. Why wouldn't it be the firsts quote on my wall? Let's get down to business....

I bought a 10x17 board from The Wood Connection. They have a great selection of different sizes. I will be purchasing the rest of my quote boards there. 
 I painted the top a bright white. I envisioned very crisp and bright letters. White stands out against most colors. 
 Make sure that you get a few layers of white on there. I didn't want any of the knots in the wood to show through, even though I was going to paint over it in a darker color. 
 I used my Silhouette Cameo and designed the letters in the size and font that I wanted. I cut them out, and placed them on transfer paper. The paint was slightly wet when I put them down. It caused me problems because they didn't want to stick down as well as I needed. But in the end I liked the effect of the vinyl pulling off some of the white paint. It gave the quote an aged look. Yay!
 This is what it looked like before I started to paint the turquoise on top. I recommend sponging the paint over the letter at first, as you do the second coat of paint you can brush like normal.  
 Cover the whole board, and let it dry. 
 I didn't get a picture of it, but I lightly brushed white over some spots on the board, just before I peeled the letters off. 
 I used my spatula to help peel off the vinyl. I love the defined edges. 








And there you have it. Thank you Jane Austen for providing us with some the most quotable books and movies. I love love my first quote board. Stay tuned for next addition to the wall later this week.  

No comments:

Post a Comment